Greetings Canada’s Slow Food Convivia!
The Screaming Avocado Café and Slow Food Perth County are reaching out to encourage Canadian Slow Food convivia to recruit groups of youth participants from their communities to bring to the Slow Food Canadian Youth Terra Madre. This inaugural meeting of young food enthusiasts will be taking place on May 3rd and 4th, 2011. The event will take place at McCully’s Hill Farm (located between St. Mary’s and Stratford, Ontario), and will entail one evening of camping and two days of programming. Groups can attend on individual days. The age range for participation is 14 to 17 years old.
Event programming includes cooking and gardening demonstrations, discussion forums, and taste education workshops. Participants can include school groups and/or community-based youth groups. Total youth participants will be capped at 200.
For more details, printable info & application form please visit Slow Food Canadian Youth Terra Madre Page
What: Canadian Youth Terra Madre 2011
Begins: 10:00 am, Tuesday, May 2, 2011
Ends: 2:30 pm, Wednesday, May 3, 2011
Registration Form Due: Friday, April 1, 2011
Maximum Youth Participants Per Group: 20
Minimum Supervisor Requirements: 1 Adult Supervisor per 10 Youth
Group Requirements: Each group is asked to bring along a cold dish for the Welcome Lunch Potluck.
Individual Requirements: All participants are responsible for their own tents, sleeping bags, camping gear, etc. All participants are asked to bring their own plates, bowls, cutlery and cups.
Number of Youth Participating: 200 maximum
Number of Workshops: 3 per day per participant
Workshops By: Farmers, Producers, Food Personalities & Chefs
Chef Joshna Maharaj (CBC’s Steven & Chris Show)
Chef Scott Vivien (The Beast Restaurant, Toronto)
Anita Stewart (Writer, Cuisine Canada)
Chef Jeremy Taft (Slow Food Northumberland)
Andres Anhalt (Milagro Restaurante Mexicano y Cantina, Toronto)
Dave Koert (Koert Organics, Stratford)
Peter Blush (Forager)
Arlene Stein and the Evergreen Gang
Tuesday, May 3, 2011
|10:00 am – 12:00 pm||Morning Arrival & Set-up Camp|
|12:00 pm – 1:30 pm||Welcome Potluck Lunch & Intros|
|1:00 pm – 2:00 pm||Workshop #1|
|2:00 pm – 2:15 pm||Break|
|2:15 pm – 3:15 pm||Workshop #2|
|3:15 pm – 3:30 pm||Break|
|3:30 pm – 4:30 pm||Workshop #3|
|4:30 pm – 6:00 pm||National Ideas Exchange|
|6:00 pm – 8:00 pm||Pig Roast Dinner|
|8:00 pm – 11:00 pm||Battle of the Bands Champ|
Wednesday, May 4, 2011
|8:00 am – 9:00 am||Breakfast|
|9:00 am – 10:00 am||Workshop #4|
|10:00 am – 10:15 am||Break|
|10:15 am – 11:15 am||Workshop #5|
|11:15 am – 11:30 am||Break|
|11:30 am – 12:30 pm||Workshop #6|
|12:30 pm – 1:30 pm||Lunch & Final Words|
|1:30 pm – 2:30 pm||Tear-Down & Goodbyes|
Slow Food Youth Terra Madre 2011 Rules
- This is a 100% tobacco, alcohol and drug free event. If participants do not think that they can abide by these rules, do not bring them.
- All group leaders are responsible for obtaining parental consent and approving supervisors on their end.
- All students must be accompanied by a supervisor (adult over 21). All supervisors are 100% responsible for the youth in their charge.
- All participants must remain on the site upon entry until leaving: there are no in-and-out privileges. All participants will be given a wristband and those without a wristband will be asked to leave.
- ALL garbage you generate must be collected and brought out with you when you leave the farm.
- No disposable plates, cutlery etc. There will be dish washing stations for everyone to clean their own dishes.
- Zero tolerance for disrespect to the property, to other attendees, to supervisors, or farm animals.